A Follow Up to Street Harassment (Trigger Warning)

This past summer, I wrote on the topic of street harassment and highlighted my friends’ and I’s personal experiences concerning this matter.

Since then, I have learned, I have grown and I have more to say on this matter.

I went to a colloquium style lecture over the weekend concerning the rhetoric surrounding sexual assault and rape. During the session, a number of misconceptions and myths were discussed and the facts, as far as the research is concerned, made very clear. The discussion was lead by a prevention specialist at the rape crisis center in the Cleveland area. I want to share what stuck out the most to me:

1) 8 out of 10 men are not comfortable with words like “bitch” or “slut” being directed at women.
I know what you’re thinking; because I thought it, too. No Way. It seems like a rather large percentage of men yet if you and I were to go on our personal experiences alone, it seems like a much smaller number. But there’s a reason for that. You see, those 80% of men are uncomfortable but think they’re the only ones in the room who are uncomfortable. The other 20% are obviously very vocal but little do they know, they are the minority.

2) Paradigm Shift

When it comes to sexual assault and rape, the two individuals always talked to and about are the perpetrator and the victim. As the prevention specialist reminded us, crisis centers know what to do for victims but they are not sure what to do about perpetrators. He also spoke so passionately about shifting the paradigm so that we no longer talk about what a victim ‘should have done’ because these crimes are not something society should ever pin on the victim. Instead, as a culture we must shift our thinking toward prevention. Not victim prevention; but preventing the perpetrator by making it unacceptable for a perpetrator to exhibit certain types of language, behaviors and or actions.

3) Empower the Bystander

What does this look like? It will vary. From the Hollaback campaign to suggesting the party guests get pizza when you see behavior that makes you uncomfortable. If 8 out of 10 men are uncomfortable with derogatory terms being directed toward women, that’s 8 out of 10 men who are more than likely uncomfortable with derogatory behavior being directed toward women. That’s a silent majority that can really begin this idea of empowering the bystander. Together men and women can begin to make it socially unacceptable to say and do anything that even hints at the potential of sexual assault or rape. I know it can seem incredibly daunting when it seems like all we hear is the very vocal opposition. But remember, you’re not the only one!

2 thoughts on “A Follow Up to Street Harassment (Trigger Warning)

  1. Interesting points. I’m wondering about the context of the statistic that 8 out of 10 men are uncomfortable with words like “bitch” and “slut” being directed at women (in public?). Is it that they dislike the use of derogatory words, or is that they they think a “lady” should not hear such filthy language? If it’s the latter, then it suggests an adherence to a patriarchal notion of female purity, making me think that some of those men might not be quite as progressive on these issues overall. I haven’t seen those studies–I’m just wondering.

    • From the way it was framed it seemed that it was being uncomfortable with women being referred to as a “bitch” or a “slut.” I can understand the confusion and perhaps it is an error in wording on my part so I do apologize. I will try and find the research to reference to in my post. I have to contact the speaker to make sure I have the right research.

Feel the Rage

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s